STEPS to ENROLL     |     APPLY NOW     |     REGISTER for COURSES     |     MyMERCER     |    

Virtual Office Hours - Financial Aid

Financial Aid: Hello Vikings! We hope that you all are as well as you can be during these rather unique times that COVID-19 has us all navigating through. Safety, social distancing, wearing a mask, and practicing healthy habits for you and your Loved ones are vital. Allow it to be understood, as we encourage you all to do your part, we will continue to do the same when it comes to being a firm outlet of support for providing clarity per your Financial Aid (FA) needs.

The information below has been pulled together with you in mind! From questions that were answered to provide better understanding, to circumstances that deserved dedicated attention to provide the best results possible in the best interest of YOU, The Financial Aid Office is, yet again, extending our hands to our MCCC scholars. In the event that you are in need of assistance, please either call 609-570-3210/3242, e-mail, and/or engage with us during our virtual FA Hours. Through yet another avenue, we are ready to help!

Visit for any assistance you may need!     MCCC Virtual
OneStop Center

Course Registration  ★  Admission Application  ★  Financial Aid  ★  Tuition Payment or Payment Plan  ★  much more!

NEW! in your MyMercer Student Portal: You can now upload certain Financial Aid documents at Student Self-Service. This is just the beginning, so be sure to visit your MyMercer often for added features to serve your needs during these unprecedented times.


Need Tuition Assistance?
We Can Help

Apply NOW for Financial Aid for the 2022-2023 academic year.

Click here for assistance
filing your FAFSA

Scholarships at Mercer
click here for details

You may be eligible for
Free Tuition



NJ State HESAA Financial Aid Deadlines

The FAFSA must be RECEIVED by the Federal processor (not postmarked) by the dates below to be considered for the Tuition Aid Grant (TAG), Governor's Urban Scholarship, NJ STARS and NJ STARS II programs.

Renewal Students 2022-2023
Submit FAFSA April 15, 2022
Complete State Record in NJFAMS October 1, 2022*
Complete State Record in NJFAMS – Spring Only March 1, 2023
New Students 2022-2023
Submit FAFSA September 15, 2022
Complete State Record in NJFAMS October 1, 2022*
Submit FAFSA – Spring Only February 15, 2023
Complete State Record in NJFAMS – Spring Only March 1, 2023*
* Students have 30 days from initial notification to complete state record in NJFAMS. The dates listed are the final possible deadlines, but students may have earlier deadlines depending on the date of the initial notification.


The federal government, the State of New Jersey, and Mercer County Community College offer eligible students a range of financial aid opportunities. A student or applicant who needs financial aid should apply as early as possible -- even before completing an application for admission.

Most student financial aid is provided in the form of grants through federal and state-funded programs. This money is specifically awarded for education-related expenses including tuition, fees, books, and indirect costs such as living expenses and transportation. Eligibility depends upon financial need. Other grants are available through private scholarships and college-sponsored grants-in-aid.

Specific programs and their eligibility requirements are outlined in the tables below. Students may also qualify for a tuition tax credit through the American Opportunity Tax Credit.

How to Apply

To be considered for all federal, state and MCCC financial aid, students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The federal school code for Mercer is 002641.

To ensure that financial aid arrives before tuition and fees are due, applications and supporting documents should be submitted before April 15 for the full academic year or the Fall semester, and before September 15 for the Spring semester only.

Students who submit applications after these dates should be prepared to pay semester tuition and fees themselves with the possibility of receiving financial aid after the semester begins. If an award is made, the student will receive an appropriate refund.

Students are additionally encouraged to explore and pursue scholarship opportunities.

Contact Us:

609-570-3210 or 609-570-3242

General Eligibility Requirements

Federal Aid
For federal financial aid eligibility, students must:

State Aid
To be eligible for financial aid from the State of New Jersey, students must comply with the general eligibility requirements and also must be:

DACA Students
Applicants must:

Academic Requirements

Financial aid is awarded only to students who are enrolled in an approved degree or certificate program and who are making satisfactory academic progress.

Federal regulations require every college to establish, publish and apply reasonable standards for measuring academic progress. The standards must include both a qualitative measure (the cumulative grade point average) and a quantitative measure (the completion rate). In addition, the maximum time to complete a program cannot exceed 150% of its published length. The chart below outlines the minimum standards of satisfactory academic progress to receive financial aid at Mercer County Community College.

Minimum Standards of Progress to Qualify for Financial Aid

Cumulative Credits Attempted Completion Rate Cumulative GPA
0 to 8 00 % 0.00
9 to 19 50 % 1.60
20 to 29 50 % 1.70
30 to 39 60 % 1.80
40 to 47 60 % 1.90
48 or more 67 % 2.00

Cumulative credits attempted counts all coursework, including withdrawals, incompletes, repeats, noncredit remedial courses and transfer credits. The Completion rate is equal to credits earned (which counts only coursework for which the student earned a grade of A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, D, or S, including noncredit remedial courses and transfer credits) divided by the credits attempted. Up to 30 noncredit remedial courses are exempt from this calculation. Students whose coursework consists entirely of noncredit remedial courses and/or transfer credit are exempt from the cumulative GPA standard because they do not have a calculated grade point average.

The cumulative academic progress of each student is reviewed after each term that the student is enrolled. All periods of the student's enrollment except the semester in progress are included in the evaluation, regardless of whether or not financial aid was awarded. Students who fail to meet all of the prescribed standards for satisfactory academic progress will be denied financial aid.

Applicants denied financial aid due to unsatisfactory academic progress have the right to appeal for reinstatement of eligibility, providing evidence that:

Appeals must be submitted in writing along with relevant supporting documents to the Financial Aid office. The Academic Progress Appeals Committee will review the appeal and notify the student be e-mail once a decision has been made. If an Academic Plan is required, it will be emailed to your student email account. It must be signed by an academic advisor, indicating: how many credits you will take each academic term, when graduation is anticipated, and when it is anticipated that you will meet the SAP standards.

For Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) forms: click here

Students ultimately judged not to be making satisfactory progress may once again meet satisfactory progress standards by enrolling for one semester at their own expense and must complete all of their 2015-16 courses with no failures 'F', withdrawals "W', incomplete "I" or no credit 'NC' grades of any kind and earn a term GPA of 2.00. Upon successful completion of the semester, an appeal for reinstatement of eligibility may be submitted to the Financial Aid office

NEW! in your MyMercer Student Portal: You can now upload certain Financial Aid documents at Student Self-Service. This is just the beginning, so be sure to visit your MyMercer often for added features to serve your needs during these unprecedented times.


Financial Aid SAP Forms and Publications

Federal and State Aid

Listings of federal and state financial aid programs along with eligibility requirements and application instructions appear below.


 Federal Stafford Loan Information 2021-22 (PDF)



Program Special Eligibility
to Apply
Federal Pell Grants Applicants must:
 Demonstrate financial need
 Take at least 1 credit of program-required coursework
Up to $6345 per year Students who have earned B.A. or B.S. degrees not eligible  File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FASFA) listing MCCC as a college you plan to attend
 Submit verification of all types of income and other requested documentation to the MCCC Financial Aid office
Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (SEOG) Applicants must:
 Demonstrate financial need
 Apply on or before April 15 (Sept. 15 for Spring only)
$400-$800 per year at MCCC Priority to students with the lowest family contribution who are eligible for Pell
Federal Work Study Program (FWS) Applicants must:
 Demonstrate financial need
 Take at least 6 credits of program-required coursework
Determined by hourly rate of pay and number of hours per week, generally from $800 to $3000 per year Employment is on- or off-campus; students may work a maximum of 14 hours per week when classes are in session and 28 hours per week during semester breaks depending upon FWS budget


Program Special Eligibility
to Apply
Federal Direct Subsidized Stafford Loan Applicants must:
 Take at least 6 credits of program-required coursework
 Demonstrate unmet financial need
Up to:
 $3500 (0-29 completed credits)
 $4500 (30 or more completed credits)
 Repayment begins six months after leaving school
 Interest rates vary by year
 Same as federal programs
 Submit a loan request through the MyMercer student portal
Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan Applicants must:
 Take at least 6 credits of program-required coursework
Up to:
 $6000 (0-29 completed credits)
 $6000 (30 or more completed credits)
 Combined Stafford Loan totals may not exceed stated limit
 Repayment of interest begins immediately unless lender agrees to accrue it
 Interest rates vary by year


Program Special Eligibility
to Apply
NJ STARS (Student Tuition Assistance Reward Scholarship) Applicants must:
 Rank in the top 15 percent of their high school class at the end of their junior or senior year
 Demonstrate college readiness
 Achieve the required score on college placement test
Tuition for up to 18 credits per semester, up to five semesters  For high-achieving New Jersey high school students; not based on financial need
 High schools make recommendations to the NJ Higher Education Student Assistance Authority
 File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FASFA)
 Complete all requirements on state portal
 Submit your official high school transcript with class rank
Tuition Aid Grant (TAG) See NJ state aid requirements under the "General Eligibility Requirements" section. Up to $2790 per year at MCCC  Students who have earned degrees are not eligible at MCCC
 Students may receive five semesters of funding; EOF-funded students may receive eight semesters of funding
 File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FASFA)
 Complete all requirements on state portal
Community College Opportunity Grant (CCOG) Applicants must:
 Have a household AGI between $0 and $65,000
Tuition and eligible fees for up to 18 credits Students may receive up to five semesters of funding  File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FASFA)
 Complete all requirements on state portal
Educational Opportunity Fund Grant (EOF) Applicants must:
 Be full-time students
 Be historically disadvantaged both educationally and economically
Up to $1050 per year  Special counseling services available
 Some students may be allowed part-time enrollment with EOF director's approval
 File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FASFA)
 Complete all requirements on state portal
 Contact the EOF Office for an interview


Program Special Eligibility
to Apply
Grant in Aid (GIA) Applicants must:
 Be talented students who benefit the college community
Vary Students must be recommended  Faculty/staff recommendation only
Private and Foundation Scholarship Applicants must:
 Demonstrate merit and/or need
 Complete the general online application
$200-$3000 per year at MCCC Scholarship funding is donated by businesses, organizations, and individuals  File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) 
 Submit online AwardSpring application
Foundation Athletic Scholarship Applicants must:
 Be outstanding athletes
$100 to full tuition and fees Must be recommended by MCCC coach or athletic director Contact the MCCC Athletics Department (e-mail


Program Award Amounts and Eligibility Program Information How to Apply
Scholarship and loan programs from foundations,
companies, unions, clubs, associations, high schools
Vary by program Libraries, high schools, guidance offices, scholarship publications Varies by programs


Veterans Benefits

Veterans and eligible dependents who wish to receive Veterans Administration Educational Assistance (GI Bill®) should contact the Office of Veterans Affairs, located in the Ennrollment Services office at the West Windsor Campus or the Student Services office at the James Kerney Campus. New students should bring their original Discharge Document (DD form 214 / copy 4) or a Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE).

The staff will assist veterans in completing necessary paperwork in a timely fashion. Alternatively, the application may be completed online at If filing online, print and bring a copy of your application to the Veterans Affairs office.

Initial application for benefits should be completed as far as possible in advance of registration for classes. Returning students must submit a copy of their class schedules to the Veterans Affairs office for certification with the Veterans Administration. Any changes in enrollment status or change of major must be reported to the Veterans Affairs office as soon as they occur.

New Jersey National Guard Free Tuition Program

New applicants for the National Guard Free Tuition Program should complete their paperwork six to eight weeks before registration. All National Guard students, both new and returning, must submit an original Commander's Letter of Certification (NJDMAVA form 621-2-R15Nov00) each time they register for courses. This letter must be dated no more than 60 days prior to registering for courses.

All applicants, new and returning, must submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) annually. In addition, National Guard students must complete and submit an application to MCCC and take the college skills placement test.

All veterans and National Guard students may submit appropriate documents to be evaluated for the possible awarding of credits for military training. Contact the Veterans Affairs office for additional information: (609) 570-3240 or e-mail

New Jersey Volunteer Tuition Credit Program
(for Volunteer Fire, First Aid, Rescue Squad Members)

Active volunteer fire, first aid, or rescue squad members in good standing, and their dependent children and spouses, may enroll in courses of up to $300 in value per semester and $600 in value annually, up to a maximum of $2,400 over a four-year period, provided that they:

Local fire companies and rescue squads can provide additional information.

Questions & Answers About Financial Aid

1.  Who can get financial aid?
Most students can receive financial aid if they need it, but there are some general requirements everyone must meet.

2.  How do I apply for financial aid?
First, make sure you (and your parent, if needed) have a PIN (see question #3). Next, file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Our federal school code for the FAFSA is 002641.

3.  What is an FSA ID and how do I get one?
The FSA ID is a username and password you use to log in to certain U.S. Department of Education websites, including and The FSA ID is your legal signature and shouldn't be created or used by anyone other than you-not even your parent, your child, a school official, or a loan company representative. You'll use your FSA ID every year you fill out a FAFSA form and for the lifetime of your federal student loans.

Visit to create an FSA ID. You'll need your Social Security number, full name, and date of birth. You'll also need to create a username and password, and provide answers to some challenge questions so you can retrieve your account information if you forget it.

It is recommended that you provide a mobile phone number and email address when you make your FSA ID. Providing a mobile phone number and/or email address will make it easier to unlock your account, retrieve your forgotten username, or reset your forgotten password.

4.  When should I file my FAFSA?
The FAFSA for the upcoming school year becomes available on October 1 each year. Submit the FAFSA by April 15 for the full academic year or September 15 if you plan to attend only the spring term that begins in January. Apply as early as possible to allow enough time for your aid to process before tuition is due. Students who apply on time receive priority consideration for all funds. Students who apply late may miss out on certain funds. Students who apply late may not have their financial aid processed by the tuition due date and may need to wait to register for classes or pay out of pocket to reserve desired classes.

5.  What if I need help with my FAFSA?
Help is available at the Financial Aid office on the main campus or the Student Services office at the James Kerney Campus. Always bring your and your parents' tax returns (if needed) when you come for help. You may also call the toll free Federal Student Aid help line at 1-800-433-3243.

6.  What happens after I file the FAFSA?
If you provided a valid e-mail address on your FAFSA, you will receive an e-mail response within 3-5 days with a link to your online Student Aid Report (SAR). If no e-mail address is provided, you will receive a paper SAR by regular mail within three weeks. Read your SAR carefully and check the information you reported. If anything seems wrong or you do not understand something on your SAR, contact us right away for help. A short time later, New Jersey residents will also receive a Student Eligibility Notice (SEN) regarding New Jersey financial aid programs (see question #12).

7.  When I get my SAR, does this mean I have financial aid?
Not yet, but you have taken the first and most important step in the process. If Mercer is listed as one of the colleges on your SAR, you will receive a follow up letter from us in about a week. If Mercer is not on your SAR, call 1-800-433-3243 and ask them to add college code 002641. You will be asked for the DRN number on the upper right corner of your SAR when you call.

8.  Now that I have my SAR, how long will it take to get my financial aid award?
That depends. We may have to ask you for certain documents to complete and verify your application. Submit the documents right away, because further processing is on hold until all of them have been received. Once we have them, you should have an answer within two to four weeks.

9.  How can I check on the status of my financial aid application?
You may check the status of your application online at any time from the Student Access to Application & Award link at top of the main MCCC Financial Aid web page. During business hours, you may call the Financial Aid office at 609-570-3210. Due to heavy call volume, it may be difficult to get through by phone during peak registration periods.

10.  How will I know when I get financial aid?
An award letter will be available on your Student MyMercer Portal, Go to Student Self-Service, and click on the Financial Aid section.

11.  How can I find out if my tuition has been covered by financial aid?
If you registered for classes, you may check the status of your account online. Log into the MyMercer student portal and click on Student Financial Info in the WebAdvisor section on the right side. If there is no payment due, then your tuition has been covered. During business hours, you may call the Accounting office at 609-570-3499.

12.  I have a letter from the State of New Jersey Higher Education Student Assistance Authority that shows my TAG award. Is my tuition covered now?
Everyone thinks this is an award letter, but do not be confused! What you have is called a Student Eligibility Notice (SEN). It is not an automatic tuition payment. Before we can use these funds to pay your tuition, we must verify that you meet all state, federal and college financial aid requirements. There is no tuition coverage until you see the award on your Mercer Award Letter.

13.  I was told my application is a reject. What does this mean?
Rejects happen when your application is missing something, like a signature or answer to an important question. Sometimes the answers you gave just don't seem to make sense. Whatever the reason, your application's going nowhere and we can't fix it. You must provide what's missing or correct what's wrong. Have the DRN number from the upper right corner of your SAR ready and call 1-800-433-3243 for help.

14.  I got my SAR, but I was told you have no record of my application. How is that possible?
There are two reasons this might happen. Mercer is not listed as one of the colleges on your SAR or you applied so recently that we do not have your application record yet. To add Mercer to your SAR, call 1-800-433-3243 and ask them to add college code 002641. If you just applied or added Mercer, wait a few days and check again. Records are loaded once a week, usually on Friday.

15.  I got my SAR weeks ago and Mercer is listed on it, but I never heard anything from the Financial Aid office. What happened?
Chances are an address problem is to blame. We send letters to the address you put on your FAFSA. If the address you put on your FAFSA was wrong or has changed, contact the Financial Aid office so we can correct it. If you attended Mercer in the past, you may have an old address on file in the Student Records office that you should update by completing a Demographic Change Form.

16.  I applied for financial aid. Why was my schedule dropped for nonpayment?
Applying for financial aid is only the first step to receive an award. You may soon be awarded financial aid, but not until everything is checked out and you get your Mercer Award Letter (see question #10). Your printed schedule shows the date your tuition is due and the amount. Unpaid schedules are dropped if not covered in full by a financial aid award before the payment deadline.

17.  I have my Mercer Award Letter, but you dropped my schedule anyway. Why?
There are two possibilities.
Your award for the semester did not cover the full amount of tuition and fees; or
You were approved for a student loan, but did not complete the electronic master promissory note and/or the entrance interview quiz before the payment deadline.

Financial Aid Websites

FinAid -- billed as the most comprehensive source of student financial aid information, advice, and tools.

Free Application for Federal Student Aid -- for online FAFSA filing.

Federal Direct Loan Program -- where loan applicants with a PIN can electronically sign a Master Promissory Note (MPN).

Federal Student Aid -- containing The Student Guide and other federal resources.

Student Gateway to the Federal Government -- connecting students with federal government information on careers, planning an education, and paying for college.

NJ Higher Education Student Assistance Authority -- information for New Jersey residents on all financial aid programs of the New Jersey HESAA.

When a Student Withdraws

Students who withdraw must complete a Withdrawal Form at the Student Records office. Courses dropped on or before the scheduled deadline will not appear on a student's academic transcript and are not counted for financial aid award purposes.

Withdrawal from all courses before 60% of a term has expired will result in a pro rata reduction and return of financial aid previously awarded, except work-study earnings. The school and the student must return unearned financial aid by repaying funds to the following sources, in order, up to the total net amount disbursed from each source: to Unsubsidized Stafford Loan; to Subsidized Stafford Loan; to Federal Pell Grant; to Federal SEOG.

State funding will be reduced to a prorated amount if not disbursed prior to withdraw. The reduced award will correspond to the scheduled net credit load.


Bookstore Credit Opt Out

Students who are awarded but wish to opt out of the bookstore credit must submit a request to the financial aid office. Bookstore Credits are extended one week prior to the start of the term to eligible students. This allows students to use a portion of their financial aid to purchase required books for registered courses before classes begin. The bookstore credit is not an additional financial aid award and the cost of books purchased will be deducted from any financial aid awards. The maximum authorized amount will be determined by the student's eligibility not to exceed $1200 per term. If your financial aid awards do not cover the cost of Tuition, Fees, and Books, or if you become ineligible for financial aid, you will be responsible for payment of any remaining semester charges.