Granting of Associate Degrees
The college is authorized by the State of New Jersey to grant the Associate in Arts, Associate in Fine Arts, the Associate in Science, and the Associate in Applied Science degrees to regularly matriculated students upon successful completion of study. Each program contains a general education core consisting of courses in written and oral communication, mathematics, natural science, technology, humanities, and social science as well as required courses and elective courses.
Students are responsible for ensuring that they have met all graduation requirements:
- The number of semester hours of credit as specified by the program (usually 60 to 66).
- At least 15 credits, with six of these from courses at the 200 level, in the student’s major, earned at Mercer County Community College.
- A minimum quality point average of 2.00 for all work applied toward a degree or certificate. A minimum C grade is required in any degree or certificate course crucial to the major, as indicated in the catalog listing of the program.
- Successful completion of all academic and course requirements of a degree program as specified in the college catalog either in effect at the time of the application for graduation or in effect at the time of the student’s original matriculation in the program, provided that not more than 10 academic years passed prior to the intended graduation date and the student has maintained continuous attendance.
- Satisfactory completion of all courses within 10 years of the date of intended graduation, except in allied health and flight technology programs with a time limit of five years. The academic division may, at its discretion, recertify courses taken outside of these time limits.
- Satisfactory completion of a minimum number of credit courses approved as General Education. In accordance with college standards, these minimum requirements are reflected in the catalog listing of each program:
– 45 credits for the Associate in Arts degree
– 30 credits for the Associate in Science degree
– 21 credits for the Associate in Applied Science degree
– 21 credits for the Associate in Fine Arts degree
– 6 credits for credit-bearing certificates
- All elective courses must be selected from among the courses included in the designated category. A student may not elect a course below his or her placement level in a discipline. It is essential that any questions about electives be reviewed with an advisor familiar with the program.
- Satisfaction of all financial obligations to the college.
- Participation in graduation exercises is encouraged.
Academic Foundation Credits
English composition, reading, and mathematics courses below the 100 level prepare students to succeed in college-level programs. To earn a degree, students must complete at least 60 credits in courses above this level.
Students are permitted to earn multiple degrees by completing all requirements for each. Applying completed courses from one degree or certificate to fulfill requirements for another, however, requires approval from the Dean of the associated academic division.