Do you want to use your education to make positive change in people’s lives? The Mercer Honors Program is an enriched college experience for highly motivated and intellectually curious students with a commitment to cultivating complex understanding and innovation in their chosen fields.
It's not a separate track or major; honors students matriculate into an MCCC degree program and take one or more honors courses each semester toward fulfillment of their general education and program requirements. Students have access to a range of honors courses in biology, business and technology, chemistry, composition, humanities, mathematics, and social sciences. These courses prepare students for junior- and senior-level coursework at some of the best colleges and universities in the nation, and the distinction of honors course work shows clearly on students' transcripts.
- Join an academically engaged and motivated community of scholars.
- Gain a competitive edge as a transfer applicant from the honors experience.
- Participate in smaller student-driven and discussion-based seminar classes where everyone has a voice.
- Expand abilities in courses that go deeper and challenge students’ critical thinking.
- Develop creativity through collaborative and individual projects.
- Work with committed, full-time honors faculty who are accessible in and out of class.
- Learn about leadership opportunities on campus and clarify your academic path at Mercer and beyond with transfer advising.
Honors courses prepare students to pursue an array of transfer options after Mercer according to their goals. Some students want a larger university, some a smaller college. Some want to stay in-state and some want to go out-of-state.
In addition to MCCC’s tuition per credit, there is an honors fee of $40 per credit for each honors course. Financial aid and scholarships are available.
Is the Mercer Honors Program Right for You?
Most students who are a match for the honors program have many of these qualities:
Try the short "self-evaluation" below.
- A history of success in challenging academic courses
- A strong GPA
- Readiness for college and honors courses as demonstrated by SAT, ACT, or Accuplacer scores
- Intellectual curiosity and a passion for learning
- Work experience and/or community involvement
- An ability to balance school, work, and family responsibilities
- A capacity to think and work independently
- A drive to participate in a collaborative learning environment
Give some thought to each item and count how many you would check:
If most of these describe you, then consider applying to the Mercer Honors Program!
The Mercer Honors Program provides a pathway for students who seek the challenge of one or more honors courses each semester and want to be part of an honors peer community. Mercer Honors Program students take a portion of their academic program's required courses as honors courses.
Recent Transfer Destinations of MCCC Honors Students
Allegheny College, Boston University, The College of New Jersey, Columbia University, Fordham University, Ithaca College, Lafayette College, New Jersey Institute of Technology, New York University, Northeastern University, Rutgers University, Swarthmore College, University of California-Davis, University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, University of Pittsburgh, University of Rochester, Villanova University
American Honors is still on campus during our transition to the Mercer Honors Program. How to contact us:
American Honors Advisor
Assistant Dean for American Honors
email@example.com / Office: ET111