Mercer County Community College Library Information Literacy Scheduling Procedures
The MCCC Library provides Information Literacy (IL) instruction that will enhance student's IL skills. This instruction is intended to support both the college's and individual instructor's IL and educational objectives. The New Jersey Information Literacy Progression Standards are used as a foundation for the MCCC Library's IL instruction approach.
Library IL instruction is available to all instructors at MCCC and is intended to both supplement course material and support student's use of information for coursework. Library IL instruction is normally given during a regularly schedule class period.
Scheduling Library IL Instruction - General
- Requests for IL instruction will be accepted by the library at any time.
- Every effort will made to meet the requested date/time for IL instruction. However, as both the number of library instructors and classroom space are limited, classes will be scheduled on a first come/first served basis (see the subsequent sections below for added scheduling details).
- Should a requested date/time not be available for IL instruction, the library will work with the instructor requesting IL instruction to select an alternate date/time for the class to receive IL instruction.
- A librarian will contact the course instructor to discuss the content of the library instruction and confirm the date, time, and place for the scheduled IL instruction.
Scheduling Library IL Instruction - Faculty
- Faculty may request IL instruction either in person at the library, or by phone (609-570-3561)
- Please supply details about the research work/assignment associated with the IL instruction class.
- As IL instruction is most effective when it is given in conjunction with a specific course assignment, it is recommended that instructors provide a copy of the assignment at the time of the request.
- The library encourages instructors without planned assignments to still seek IL instruction. The librarians will work with course instructors to create an assignment that will allow students to utilize the skills gained in an IL session.
- Please allow 7 days for librarians to prepare for your instruction session.
- Please attend the instructional session with your students, or designate a substitute. Faculty input during the session both underscores the value of developing information literacy skills and furthers our efforts to serve as support teaching and learning partners.
TO SCHEDULE A CLASS, please contact Melinda Struzynski via e-mail or call the library at 609-570-3554.