Overview & Facts
A vital college,
Engaged with its community, and
Dedicated above all else to student success.
A Brief History
Established in 1966, Mercer County Community College (MCCC) is a publicly supported comprehensive educational institution that provides opportunities for higher education through an open-door admission policy.
Read more about the college's history.
The scenic 292-acre West Windsor Campus was opened in 1972 to serve the needs of Mercer County residents. The newly-expanded James Kerney Campus, located in downtown Trenton, serves as an educational and cultural hub for city residents.
Mercer Students at a Glance
Mercer County Community College enjoys a diverse student body that brings a variety of background and experiences to campus. A brief introduction to Mercer students:
- Approximately 12,000 students enroll in one or more credit courses each year.
- Mercer County residents comprise three-fourths of the student population.
- International students (non-immigrant) representing more than 100 countries make up 4.3% of the student population.
- Enrollment includes 63% part-time students, 37% full-time; 48% men and 52% women.
- The average age of a full-time student is 22. The average age of a part-timer is 29.
- The average class size is 21.
- More than 35% of Mercer's graduates transfer to senior colleges or universities.
- MCCC offers 75 degree program options and 30 credit certificate programs. The three most heavily enrolled areas are Liberal Arts, Nursing, and Business.
MCCC offers 75 associate degree programs and numerous credit and noncredit certificate programs.
MCCC degrees and courses transfer to numerous senior colleges through transfer agreements. Students can also enroll in a dual admissions program, which guarantees transfer admission to five New Jersey colleges — Rutgers, Rider, The College of New Jersey, Montclair, and NJIT."
Courses are available all year through flexible scheduling on two campuses during the day, evening and weekend, and through MercerOnline distance learning. Students may attend full- or part-time.
Students receive academic advisement from faculty advisors in their program of study and through the Advisement Center. Students also receive academic assistance through the learning centers.
Students can seek employment in their fields through the Career Services and Placement Office with on-site NJ Employment Service.
Mercer County Community College is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, 3624 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104 (267-284-5000). The Middle States Commission on Higher Education is an institutional accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation.
The State of New Jersey Secretary of Higher Education has authorized the college to award the associate degree. Many of the college's academic programs are also accredited by national professional associations and their boards of certification.
Aviation Flight Technology is accredited by the Aviation Accreditation Board International.
The Funeral Service A.A.S. degree and Certificate are accredited by the American Board of Funeral Service Education (ABFSE), 992 Mantua Pike, Suite 108, Woodbury Heights, NJ 08097; 816-233-3747 www.abfse.org.
The Medical Laboratory Technology program is accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS).
The Nursing program is accredited by the New Jersey Board of Nursing, 124 Halsey Street, 6th Floor, Newark, NJ 07102 973-504-6430 and the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN), 3343 Peachtree Rd. NE, Suite 850, Atlanta, GA 30326 404-975-5000.
The Occupational Therapy Assistant program at Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) of the American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA), 4720 Montgomery Lane, Suite 200, Bethesda, MD 20814; 301-652-AOTA www.acoteonline.org.
The Paralegal program is approved by the American Bar Association.
The Physical Therapist Assistant program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE), 1111 North Fairfax Street, Alexandria, VA 22314; 703-706-3245 www.capteonline.org.
The Radiography program is accredited by the Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology (JRCERT) and the New Jersey Radiologic Technology Board of Examiners.
Services to the Community
- Performances suitable for both children and adults in an intimate, handicapped-accessible Kelsey Theatre
- Annual art exhibits in an award-winning venue, The Gallery
- A listener-supported public radio network offering classical music programming throughout the region via WWFM, the Classical Network (89.1, Trenton; 91.1, Toms River, NJ)
- An annual community-based literary magazine, Kelsey Review
- Aspirations, an annual publication that showcases the works of local high school students
- Speakers in various fields every semester through the Distinguished Lecturer Series
- Distance learning opportunities through online courses, computer-based courses, and cable television Channel 26, all part of MercerOnline
Health and Fitness
- Swimming, Nautilus machines, universal machines, lifecycles, treadmills, stairmasters, rowing machines in the Fitness Center
Equal Opportunity Policy
Mercer County Community College is committed to a policy of equal treatment and opportunity
in every respect of its relations with current and prospective faculty and staff members,
without regard to race, color, religion, affectional or sexual orientation, gender and/or
gender identity or expression, marital or parental status, ethnicity, nationality, veteran
or military status, age, disability and any other legally protected basis. This includes,
but is not limited to, recruitment, hiring or appointment, selection for training, transfer,
layoff, promotion, compensation, and granting of tenure.
Questions regarding the equal opportunity policy and compliance statement may be directed to
the Affirmative Action Officer, West Windsor Campus, (609) 570-3270.