MCCC Mission and Goals
Mercer County Community College is a comprehensive, publicly supported two-year institution focused
on learning and student success. The college welcomes students of all ages from a wide variety of
backgrounds, abilities, interests, levels of education, and economic circumstances to a challenging
and supportive environment dedicated to meeting the educational needs of 21st century global citizens
and lifelong learners. Mercer responds to a broad array of community needs, offering programs and services
for employers, continuing education and training for the workforce, enrichment for youth, and cultural
opportunities for people in the region.
The following goals guide the college's quest to fulfill its mission:
To provide high-quality academic programs, courses, and instruction for a broad, diverse student population including:
To offer high-quality continuing education programs including:
- associate degree programs consisting of first- and second-year courses that transfer to four-year colleges and universities offering baccalaureate degrees;
- associate degree and certificate programs that prepare students for direct entry into occupations and careers;
- preparatory programs and courses to strengthen students' reading, writing, and quantitative skills;
- general education courses and experiences for each student that incorporate the best traditions of higher learning while supporting the educational needs of 21st century global citizens, workers, and lifelong learners;
- high-quality instruction and engaging learning experiences from dedicated faculty.
To provide services and activities that support individual student success including:
- professional development opportunities for individuals to enhance existing skills, learn new skills, and obtain industry certifications;
- training programs and resources for businesses, government agencies, and not-for-profit organizations;
- personal development and enrichment programs responsive to the current and emerging needs of individuals throughout the community.
To foster a campus culture that celebrates and values diversity, inclusiveness, and respect and supports the personal and intellectual growth of all students, faculty, and staff in a setting that is characterized by:
- learning assistance, resources, and services beyond the classroom to support the identification and attainment of individual education objectives and career goals;
- co-curricular activities and services that build leadership skills, foster social and emotional growth, promote health and wellness, and prepare students for global citizenship.
To maintain resources that support open admissions, affordability, quality teaching, innovation, and a safe and sustainable campus including:
- integrity and responsible behavior;
- effective internal and external communication.
To foster community connections that enhance the cultural and economic vitality of Mercer County including:
- financial assistance to all eligible students;
- innovation and technology in programs, services, and methods of instruction that respond to community needs and contribute to student achievement and success;
- a safe, clean, and well maintained campus with practices and programs that promote and support institutional and environmental sustainability.
To maintain a commitment to assessment to evaluate the college's success in meeting these goals and improving institutional effectiveness.
- activities and programs which contribute to the civic, cultural, aesthetic, and recreational life of the community;
- cooperative relationships with other educational institutions, government agencies, community organizations, professional associations, and business and industry;
- year-round and summer activities for youth, including those that foster development through academics, recreation, and creative expression.