MCCC Home Page
Prospective Students
Directory and Contacts
Registration & Grades
Alumni & Friends
News & Calendar
Jobs at Mercer
Admissions Overview
Apply for Admissions
Placement Testing
Visiting Student Registration
Degree Programs
Credit Certificate Programs
College Catalog
Financial Aid
Academic Calendar
Academic Facilities
Campus Tour & Map
Driving Directions
Student Life @ MCCC
Student Consumer
Tuition and Fees
Transfer Students
Adult Learner Services
Concurrent Enrollment for High School Students
International Students
FATV Videos

International Students

F-1 Students Applying from Abroad

more information about admissions requirements

1.   Submit a completed MCCC application form along with $50 (USD) non-refundable fee to MCCC. If you do not have a Social Security Number, you may leave that item blank. Mercer County Community College will assign you a student I.D. Number, once you have been accepted in the college.

2.   Complete and submit all the forms in the International Student Application Packet. If you are an athlete WITH a scholarship from MCCC, please complete and submit the International Student Application Packet for Athletes on Scholarship.

3.   After you have been accepted at MCCC, the International Student Services office will send your SEVIS I-20 form along with the New International Student Orientation Package. This SEVIS I-20 form is for you to give to U.S. Embassy or consulate to show that you have been accepted to MCCC and obtain the proper visa. You will also find instructions on how to pay the SEVIS I-901 fee. You can also find this information from

4.   Applying for F-1 visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate: Procedures in obtaining a visa depends on your country of residence. In certain countries, the U.S. Embassy issues the visa by mail. In others, interview with consular official is necessary. You need to contact the local U.S. embassy to inquire about the procedure and documents required.

When applying for F-1 visa, if the consular official doubts your ability to finance your studies or suspects you intend to immigrate, your application may be denied. These are the two most common reasons for student visa denials. In cases such as these, you may attempt to further prove financial stability or attempt to convince the consulate officer that there is both a need and a reason for you to return to your home country.

5.   When arriving at the U.S. airport, the airline will give all non-United States citizens a Form I-94, Arrival/Departure Record, to complete. The forms ask for basic identification information and the address where you will stay in the United States. Make sure that you write your name in exactly the same way as it appears on your passport and I-20.

6.   At the airport, an immigration officer will check your documents (passport, visa, and I-20). If your papers are in order, you will be admitted to the U.S. as a student. Make sure that the officer gives your passport, I-20, and I-94 back to you. Your I-94 should have the annotation of 'D/S', which means your stay in the U.S. is valid for duration of status.

7.   Special Consideration for Canadian and Bermudan Students: All the above mentioned procedure applies to all the Canadian and Bermudan students except that you do not need a visa to enter the U.S. You do not need to go a U.S. consulate or embassy in your country. While Canadians do not need a passport to enter the U.S., unless they enter the U.S. from another country, it is advisable that they present their passport. Also, be sure to carry copies of your financial documents. Make sure that your I-20 and I-94 card gets stamped at the border by the immigration officer.